Thursday, October 8, 2009

Perils of Not Pre-Washing

So after 10 years of not prewashing, disaster has finally struck. I made StinkerBella several T-shirt dresses using some favorites from my stash as skirts and a beautiful blue batik bled all over what used to be a bright pink T.It actually is worse in person. I've rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and dye still pours out of this fabric. Sigh. I loved this fabric but I'm glad a quilt wasn't ruined.

Now will this make me into a pre-washer? No, probably not. If anyone knows a cheap way to stop the "run", please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, this happened to me too. Now there is something that can help when the dye runs. It's called Color Catchers, and you can get them at the supermarket in the laundry detergent aisle, or I found them at Walmart. They really do the trick, and all you have to do is put a couple in the washer together with the offending fabric, and they catch the excess dye. I don't know if they're 100% perfect, but they have worked for me so far. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Batiks are the only thing I prewash, and I treat them all with Rytane. It works wonders.

    ReplyDelete

New Year's Resolution - Part 15?

Every year for as long as I can remember I've resolved to lose weight. Like millions and millions of other people. And like millions of ...